Wednesday, May 14, 2008

On Elephants and Absolution

This whole blog thing is a hard mindset to get into. So, the idea is a web-log, an online diary or journal, but it's for public consumption. I read them across the internet and many are full of wondrous amounts of information, commenting on society or politics or even just daily life. Take for example this one, a blog about teaching written by a band director. Yeah, I go there a lot. There are others I just hit up to see how people think. Like this one, written by a friend of mine from college, (he graduated on time and is an officer in the military and in med school). Both of them, however, have some agenda. Brillo's a libertarian, and has really pointed views on everything, and an amazing sense of humor. The other fellow sits and works a circle of educators, networks and advertises himself and improves himself and his profession in doing so. I don't really have anything to offer.

I'm just sitting here and writing because it helps me get my thoughts together. I don't link this page anywhere, and I don't expect a soul to read this, but I'm sure it'll be stumbled upon, so I present it as if it were meant for a third party. Actually that's really helpful. Writing things down as to present it to a third party, and then coming back to read them later means I have to explain my thought process and leave it open for criticism even if only from myself. I need to recognize biases, be open to counter arguments, look up words to make sure I'm using them properly. I also have to watch how I'm presenting myself as this is will undoubtedly be traced back to my off-line life somehow. I can't say things I don't want to be heard, or bad mouth my students or contradict what I do between writing here.

 You know those people who say "I don't mean to be rude" to preface very rude things? Yeah, this is kinda like that, and I hate those people. I do have something something to write about:

[I've removed the rest of the post because I've decided to post this to a public forum. Time to clean up the blog]

No comments: