Sunday, May 4, 2008

Starting Over

I've started a Blog. 

I've been thinking for a while now that I've wanted to improve my writing, and the only way to do that is to write more. There's more to it than that though, I'm looking for a way to articulate what I'm thinking - mostly to myself. I need some sort of sieve for my thoughts, to define myself a bit and to get me headed down the write path towards exactly who I want to be. This isn't some sort of callback to the heyday of that whole 7th grade Livejournal business, nor is it an attempt to create an image of myself for people to see. Facebook does enough of that for anyone. What I'm looking for is a place where I can sit down and examine my life for what it is, and comment on it when need be...

...So, I started a blog. 

It's Sunday evening, it's May, and I live in California. Most of the time I take that for granted, so tonight I'm spending the evening in the garden. Well, not in the garden, next to the garden. In a chair, with my laptop. I'm a college student with a back yard. Often enough I forget that I'll be moving next year - most likely to an apartment - and the amenities that this place has to offer will no longer be available for me to take for granted. It's a big thing on my end, I've lived in the same place for four years and watched friends and room-mates rotate in and out as many of them graduate, but I'm still here.

I'm still here six years later. 6 years as an undergraduate, 5 years working for Unitrans, the student run bus company, 4 Picnic Days marched with the Band (uh!), 3 years spent straddling disparate departments for 2 majors that'll be squished together on 1 diploma. Six years, exactly one quarter of my life and longer than I've devoted to anything. Now, in a few months I'm going to graduate. I get to leave Davis and start over. I'll get one of those blank slates that you hear about from people who like cliches, and I don't know yet what I'm going to do with it. But I guess that's the reason I started this whole Blog thing... maybe if I write enough, I'll figure it out.

No comments: