Monday, July 21, 2008

Something Majestic

I've been pirating internet wherever I can find it recently, and it's worked out quite well. Sus and I found our way into the network at UADE, which we weren't supposed to, and although access is never guaranteed, we've found internet in our hotel's lounge from time to time. Combined with cafes sporting wi-fi connections, it really makes my post about the closed Locutorios slightly disingenuous.

Now that that's out of the way, I spent my weekend at Iguazu Falls. 

We took a bus with seats comparable to Business class on an airplane, fully reclining and plenty of space. This was a good thing as the bus ride was 17 hours each way. Upon our arrival, we were whisked away to a native village for a tour and then spent the evening on a catamaran on the river. Saturday we walked all over the national park, seeing waterfall after waterfall, then taking a boat and riding into them. I don't think I've ever been more wet, even when swimming or bathing. As we approached the spray, it was like being tortured by someone who is tickling you: you can't do anything about it but laugh. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

Saturday night we went into town for helado and drinking. Several went to a club, but I already stank of cigarette smoke (I thoroughly appreciate California now) and was exhausted from all that walking. Sus, Ryan and Rae and a few others all agreed with me, heading back in a couple of cabs. After a brief bout of snuggling, Ryan and I were kicked out of the girls' room, the twin beds conducive to snuggling but not for sleeping two. Ryan (who had enjoyed some absinthe) went and passed out while I went down to the pool area and stared at the stars.

Buenos Aires has a light dome probably the size of L.A. The light pollution is horrible, even though many of the old lamps point down instead of up. This hotel was in the middle of no where and it showed. Stars filled the sky, each one twinkling in the humid jungle air. Every one of them was unfamiliar though; I'm in a completely different hemisphere. I had planned to study star charts before I left, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I had a conversation with a friend a while back about astronomy. I told her I loved sharing the sky with people, pointing out constellations and enjoying the stars with someone else as company. She told me it was the most humbling thing to walk out to the ocean on a clear night and sit silently in conversation with the stars. I'd never tried it, so I sat on one of those long beach chairs and stared out at the unfamiliar face of the universe.

I'd never felt farther from home, but it was an experience I hope I'll never forget.

On the way home the bus played an "in-flight" movie, The Bucket List subtitled in Spanish. Two things stuck with me from the movie (besides reaffirming my love for movies with Morgan Freeman in them): First was the Egyptian mythology bit about finding joy in your life and bringing joy to others. The second was the idea of witnessing Something Majestic.

1 comment:

Clover said...

I've never been to Iguazu Falls, but it looks, like you've said, "majestic". The only falls I've been to was Niagra Falls and that was something. But I hated how it was so touristy and it needed lights at night. The moon was almost full and even if the lights weren't on, you probably would've seen it. The feel of the mist and the roar of the water only amplified by almost seeing the silhouette of the waterfall is something I really wanted to see, but that's what I got instead.

Welcome back to the states!