Monday, July 14, 2008

Musicos de la Calle

Warning: This post is even more Media Heavy

[Which means the video will come later when I'm on a hard line and have lots of time to waste]

I’m aware that every major cosmopolitan city has amazing street musicians, but I’m taking a course in which we’re studying the music and culture of Latin America so it’s hard not to go out and look for music to capture. This music however, is relatively easy to find. Because we’re in Buenos Aires, there’s always someone singing tango in the streets where they think they can find tourists. There are entire street Orchestras, rather Orquestras Típicas. The biggest I found was comprised of a (string) cuartetto, 4 bandoneones, double bass and a piano; one they roll down the cobblestone streets and tune on the spot. There’s a huge reggae movement down here, I’ve seen dreadlocks in every color of hair. But as far as music: Sunday walking down Defensa street in San Telmo, we caught a whole bunch of different groups, all playing something different. An amazing Klezmer Trio, a small mestizo group, including a charango, that Tango Orchestra, a jazz combo, and even a drunken Samba Parade bright and early on Sunday morning.


1 comment:

Sarah said...

The guy in the Klezmer trio makes me proud to be a clarinetist. If only I could smear like him. I'm jealous.