Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Subways and Wine

<3>

I can get anywhere in the city through Buenos Aire’s extensive subway system for the cost of 90 centavos, equivalent to 30 cents. We played around after class today navigating the system and it’s wonderfully simple. A bunch of us went up to see a free concert in Palermo, a neighborhood Pablo compared to Manhattan, with its own version of Central Park, what the locals call “the forest of Palermo.” The concert was a teaser concert for a band called Los Fabulosos Cadillacs who are acting like any other older rock band and getting back together. Their tour starts in December but they held a free concert last night to get everyone excited and publicize their return. Pablo left early to pick up his daughters and he left us with the direction back to the subway being “follow everyone else.” When we got down to the platform the place was packed with people, and when the first train came, these Argentines put the students of Davis to shame. That car was packed so full of people I don’t think there was room for many to even breathe. We wisely waited for the next train, but watched as two men fought with the doors trying to push their way into the mass of people, they were barely successful.

I also discovered the awesome wine available here. Sus and I split a bottle of a white wine, I forget the vineyard, but the grape was Torrontes I think. It was really light and barely sweet and probably the best wine I’ve tasted outside of the few glasses poured for me in my cousins’ cabin (one of whom is a master sommelier, the director of wine of the Bellagio in Las Vegas, and our family’s hook-up for amazing wines). The best part is after splitting a 3/4 liter bottle (four glasses), a glass of this amazing stuff costs the same a bottle of soda.

I ran into a post that a buddy of mine made a while ago in response to mine, figures he´d wait til I was out of the country, starving for high-speed internet. Shane raises some good questions about religion and I think it´s worth thinking about them.

1 comment:

Clover said...

Strangely enough, the questions you posted to me are some of the questions I think about everyday too. It just didn't go with the rant that I had for that day. Maybe if I have enough to go off of, I'll write my responses to those questions. :)

Man you talking about subways and central park makes me think of NYC. That town is awesome. Hope you're having fun!