Sunday, July 27, 2008

This is our lives on Holiday

Ok, so I titled the post after a Green Day song. Sorry. When I was 12 or 13, my buddy James introduced me to the band with the album Dookie. I traded ipods with my little cousin (she's 8 years younger, my cousin's daughter, so second cousin) over 4th of July a year or two ago, and was surprised her 'top 25 most played' playlist included a whole bunch of Green Day, but I guess that's just what you do when you're 14. She was confused to find the band on my ipod as well, especially cause she didn't know any of the songs from Dookie, Nimrod or even Warning (which was popular when my little brother was 14).

People criticize the band as sell outs and whatnot, but you have to admire them: I couldn't play the same chords for over ten years. Somehow, somewhere in my brain it seemed appropriate to listen to the album American Idiot while going through all the pictures on my computer and soaking up the last of the cold weather by hiding in a cafe drinking café con leche and reminiscing about everything with Sus.

Anyhoo, I'm headed home today, and have to spend the next 4 hours in the airport writing a paper for my independent study portion of the course instead of blogging, but I put up my favorites of the pictures I stole from everyone on the trip.

4 albums worth: The Many Colors of Buenos Aires (one at a time)
Food Friends Fun... and Wine
Food Friends Fun... and Wine (Dos)
La Argentinidad

I have so much to write about, so many stories, inside jokes, specific memories, but they'll all have to wait 'til this damned paper's done. It's funny, the entire month felt like a vacation, even though I attended class 4 days a week. The courses held my interest, I was excited to go to class, and I was never bothered with the workload. Now, the vacation's over and I have a paper hanging over my head, made even harder to write knowing it's the last thing between me and the end of the shortest month of my life.

No comments: