Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Languid, Listless and Languorous...

... are generally pleasant adjectives when coupled with idleness on a hot summer's day. Except when you're unemployed, as I am... in an upstairs apartment with no air conditioning.

I spent six consecutive hours at my computer today; searching the education and non-profit sections of cragislist and other job boards for employment opportunities and doctoring my resumé for each job. I wrote a five page response to questions regarding a part time position as a band director at Jesuit High School in Sacramento only to find that the position had been filled two weeks previous. I even applied to a few jobs in food service; I'm looking for anything that can hold me 'til I can prove I have a degree and can apply for my substitute teaching credential.

Ironically, the last time I can remember sitting at my computer for so long was when I should have been busier than all hell. I had two jobs, was taking classes at UCD and had a girlfriend. On this particular instance we spent a Saturday afternoon playing World of Warcraft together, a very long Saturday afternoon. Don't ever let a girl pull you off your wagon, it ends poorly. I'm very glad I cancelled my account (for the second time), typed "Warcraft" into spotlight and hit delete. It freed up about 17 gigs of space on my computer. I still play games (c'mon, I'm a guy), but right now they're limited to the SNES and Sega Genesis in my living room. My computer is for work. Well, right now it's for finding work.

I started my day reorganizing my library; that is, moving it from boxes into a bookshelf. In consolidating all my books into one place, I found many that I should read again. There a quite a few people I've met that can't re-read books, and I don't understand why. There's the story -it's the same story every time- but there's also the way it's told; the words the author chooses, the imagery and how it's visualized in my brain build a different experience every time. I've read Tolkein's works (at least those related to the war of the ring) at least five times and I find something new each time I read them.

Halfway through my day, a few liters of water later, I noticed how chronically dehydrated I was in Davis. Sacramento tap water is wonderful. It's delicious and tastes like... water. It's the water that I grew up drinking. There's something about it that makes it taste better than standard bottled water, and leagues ahead of the hardest water on earth, that which springs from the aquifers under Davis. Coupled with the exercise regime I've been forcing myself to follow (I have the time, so why not?) I may just end up giving up soda. Well, if I can get a handle on my caffeine addiction.

The backdrop for my afternoon of job searching was The Show with Ze Frank. Yes, I know it's two years old, but I started from the beginning again anyways. I can actually draw the comparison to rereading those old books, as I found some of it funnier this time around. For example, in this episode he draws parallels between Argentina and the U.S. and this time 'round I understand that he means our government is a few steps away from tossing people out of planes.

Once I'd had my fill of reminding myself I was unemployed, I headed over to Davis for dinner with Sus and Dave. I hadn't seen the good doctor in weeks and it was good to sit around sipping Gin and playing some Ken Griffey Jr. Presents... on his SNES, me playing the Dodgers of course to make sure they lose.

I think it's finally cool enough to go for a run around McKinley park. The best part of my lifestyle? I don't have to wake up until I want to. Too bad I'll still be getting up at 8:00 to sit back down and churn out more applications.

1 comment:

Dennis said...

Good luck with the sub credential thing. CCTC can be just about the slowest organization I've ever heard of, although I have met some people who had their applications processed within a couple weeks (it took them three months to process mine after my degree posted). Anyway, good luck.

-"may just end up giving up soda."

I'll believe that when me shit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbert.